Little do we know it but every photographer sets their photographs up to be especially appealing to your eye. There are "hotspots" for the location of key elements within a photograph. Imagine every picture split into 3 equal parts both vertically and horizontally (see this visual). Where the intersections of the lines are, are considered to be the power positions of a photograph. Place a person's head, a mountain or any other part of a photo you want to emphasize in any of these 4 four positions and you have a much stronger photograph than if you had placed the subject smack in the center.
Check out these articles by Michael Fodor or The Digital Photography School for more information or examples.
On the right, you'll see some examples where I've used this principle.
Hi Robert,
ReplyDeleteGreat visual. It makes the rule of thirds a little bit more clear. Want to trade a cake for the pulley picture?
Paulette
Those are excellent pictures. I never would have thought of the thirds concept and yet when I see the pictures demonstrating this concept it makes perfect sense. I'm going to try to use this with any future pics. Thanks for sharing the wisdom :-)
ReplyDelete